UET Online Magazine

Welcome UET Members

As part of our ongoing efforts to share information, the UET Online Magazine features important announcements on events and learning opportunities for bargaining unit employees. Listed below are links to specific timely information for UET Members. Create or update your User Profile by clicking MyUET to receive program updates and the UET Online Magazine by e-mail.

Issue 3: 5/28/2007

Career Improvement Program focuses on members’ needs

Career Improvement Program focuses on members’ needs

Career Improvement (CIP) is the program for members who want to go back to school to earn a degree or take a college class. It also features voucher-only specialty education and vocation education programs.

CIP is the backbone of the Union Education Trust’s education assistance, offering now up to $2,250 per fiscal year (July 1-June 30) of financial assistance for college-credit courses and vocational training and specialty education.

CIP is similar to its predecessor, Workforce Development’s Tuition Assistance Plan, but it has several key enhancements that make a difference to members. The CIP is easier to apply for and participate in. You can apply online for a CIP voucher (pre-payment prior to the class), or print out an application for either a voucher or reimbursement after taking a course. Either way, the application turn-around time is fast. Vouchers can be mailed to the address on your payroll records or e-mailed to you to print out and take to the school.

Many college credit schools are eligible for both vouchers or reimbursement. The key to all CIP programs is that the school must have regional accreditation (for example, North Central Association of Schools and Colleges). To find out if a school you are considering is eligible, first determine the type of school it is. You can search the Career College School List on the UET Web site. For vocational schools or community colleges, search the Vocational Education School List.

For the College Credit Reimbursement (CR) or College Credit Voucher (CV) programs, accredited schools and universities are listed on the Ohio Board of Regents Web site at http://regents.ohio.gov.

CIP reimburses eligible State of Ohio bargaining unit employees for tuition, lab, computer and technology fees.